This is more of a reminder than a disclaimer, but the word "reminder" wouldn't gain as much attention so I'm titling this section, "disclaimer."
As you read through this series on Chicago neighborhoods, please keep in mind that NO official list of the neighborhoods that make up Chicago exists--anywhere. The seventy-seven communities that were forged, unofficially in the late nineteenth century, stay constant purely for political and practical reasons; but what happens within the borders of the communities of such a dynamic city as Chicago, are constantly changing.
In other words, you may find in future reading names of Chicago neighborhoods that are not included here. And, you are just as likely to find neighborhoods in this series that are not listed in other sources. To keep my own sanity, I chose http://www.chicagohomeestates.com/neighborhood as my basic listing and altered their information as I continued my research.
You will also notice as you read other sources that the words community and neighborhood are often used incorrectly. You now know, from the introduction to this series, that each has its own definition and that they should not be used interchangeably. I found this very annoying as I read through countless well-written, but incorrect, documents.
|Return to Beginning|
Though I did not keep a complete list of the sources I used--as we were taught in high school--below is an accurate representation of those I found most helpful in discovering and verifying the information I sought. You will notice that many Real Estate Companies appear on the list. In their zeal to attract customers, these businesses spend considerable advertising space providing concise histories of the areas in which they operate. Their information was invaluable.
I suppose it was naive, but it seemed to me that with all the material available on the Internet, I should have been able to discover how every single neighborhood received its name; but my search was not always successful. The passage of time is the probable cause, but I will forever be on the lookout for the answers I missed and promise to fill-in any blanks I can over the coming years.
1. A Journey through history of Clearing
2. (The) Bush Neighborhood Chicago History
5. (The) Chicago 77 Neighborhoods
6. Chicago History Articles in Chicago
7. Chicago Magazine
9. Chicago Neighborhoods (Numerous topics)
10. Chicago Neighborhoods (Numerous topics)
11. Chicago Reader | Lincoln Square and North Center Guide | By Ann Keating
12. Chicago’s Award Winning Neighborhoods
13. Chicago Home Estates (Numerous topics)
14. Chicago Neighborhoods
15. City of Chicago Official Site
16. Cook County Accessor’s Office
17. Encyclopedia of Chicago (Numerous topics)
18. Etymologies of place names in Chicago
19. History of Beverly
20. How Chicago’s Neighborhoods Got their Names
21. (The) Illinois Central Railroad and the Development of Illinois
22. Internet Archive: Digital Library of Free Books, Movies, Music & Wayback Machine
23. List of Chicago Neighborhoods and Communities
24. Neighborhood Historical Societies - Chicago--History - LibGuides at Chicago State University
25. Neighborhoods in Chicago
25. North Center Real Estate & Chicago Neighborhood Information
27. Northwest Chicago Historical Society
28. Pullman State Historic Site
29. South Side Camelot - Chicago Tribune
30. Wikipedia (Numerous topics)
|Return to Beginning|